Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Role of the Engineer

It's been a while since I've pondered about my passions, about my career. I suppose it's more of because it's been a while since I've talked to an artist.

I recall the latter days of high school year when I were choosing colleges. It took little effort from the mind to choose engineering or science schools since I tend to do well in science and math, coming from the number one science and math high school in the city of New York. Yet, there became more heart-crying moments where I wanted to attend an art school, to seek after art, something I've tossed out of my mind in the midst of getting good grades in high school.

I've always loved designing. I can't say I'm pro at it, but I love it. I love advertising, font designing, logos, designing an object, a room, a t-shirt, a poster, perhaps even buildings, though the architects would complain. There were brief moments where I pondered whether I'll be a freelancer artist someday since I love to travel and explore new places; grab a journal and a buddy or two and walk through the seven seas.

I was reminded of all of this today, when I talked to an artist. There wasn't really a passion to become an engineer. I figured it was natural and easy, easy in the sense of deciding on what to do, rather than be clueless and not knowing what to major in until senior year of college. Yet, I don't regret it. I remember why I chose to be an engineer over an artist. Recalling all of this gave me more motivation to do well in school. I have a bigger goal in life. I believe it is what God desires, though this belief has become a bit shaky recently. Nonetheless, it will be chased after.

(The last sentence was an Engineer lab-report-related pun, though I do not expect people to catch it. Explaining it, like what i'm doing right now, will kill the wittiness but I felt it necessary to do so, in case people, or even I myself, wonder at the unaesthetic structure of the sentence.)

1 comment:

charis said...

i believe that every person has many passions, many interests, multiple facets. if you or i were just this one face with no other sides then we would be - harsh but true - boring. and that's not how God created us to be either. i'm glad you've resumed motivation and dedication to your chosen field and it makes me even happier knowing that you trust that this is where God is leading you.